SUMMER HAIR CARE TIPS
Summer can be very harsh on our delicate tresses. During the summer our hair takes a beating from the hot sun and gets dried out. Fortunately, there are ways to protect your hair while you enjoy some time in the sun. I’ve made a list of some tips to help keep your hair moisturized and healthy.
- Shielding your hair from the sun. Hats are not only a cute accessory, but protect your hair from the sun. Just like our skin, our hair can become damaged from too much sun exposure. I personally love wearing hats! I’ve posted about this one in this post. Brixton makes some gorgeous hats. I also love baseball hats for a more casual look. Love how cute this tropical print hat is and this bad hair day hat too!
- If wearing hats isn’t your thing, use a product that will protect your hair against UV rays. I have used CAVIAR CC Cream for a while.I had so many samples of it that I will need to actually buy some soon! It does all sorts of things for your hair including UV protection. I have not tried this CLARINS oil, but I plan to because it can also be used on your skin. Can’t beat two products in one!
- Protect your hair from chlorine. Pool water is very damaging to color treated hair (especially lighter hair colors) and extremely drying to your hair. To prevent your hair from soaking up the chlorinated water, rinse your hair with water first. This helps your strands soak up regular water instead of chlorinated water. A bonus tip is to add a bit of conditioner to your hair when you rinse it with regular water. You will have gorgeous locks when your hair dries after the pool!
- Lay off the hot tools! That means no flat iron, curling wand/iron, blow dryer, nothing! This one can be especially hard, but no heat on your hair does wonders to its health. Summer time is the perfect time to embrace your natural hair. If you have stick, straight hair like me, you can wear it in a bun or two dutch braids while it air dries. Don’t be afraid to try new hairstyles for summer. I personally like to wear my hair up in the summer to keep my hair from sticking to my neck when it’s too hot. I love to do messy buns, low chignons and dutch fishtail braids. It’s totally your preference and you can get creative, but try to avoid heat as much as possible.
- Moisturize those strands! There are so many DIY hair masks you can make with coconut oil or olive oil. These two oils will help hydrate dry hair. I’ve tried both, but prefer coconut oil because I love the smell!
Give these hair care tips a try for the summer to keep your hair looking healthy. Happy Tuesday loves!