5 BASICS FOR YOUR CLOSET
Everyone has their go to items in their closet. Mine is definitely basic items that can be worn over and over again in various outfits. They are my tried and true basics that I can’t seem to quit. I’ve put together a list of 5 items everyone should have in their closet as basics for any outfit. Hint: I’m wearing a few of these items in this outfit!
- A basic t-shirt in any color of your choice. I have so many plain t-shirts that I wear all the time! I prefer to keep my basic tees in neutral colors such as black, white and gray. I recently found this gray, slightly distressed, TOPSHOP t-shirt. There’s just a little bit of distressing along the edges. It’s loose and comfy. It’s the perfect basic t-shirt to base your outfit around. I love how it looks with jeans, but can easily go with skirts and shorts. You can add it to an outfit with heels or statement jewelry to dress it up. To dress it down, pair it with your favorite sneakers. The options are literally endless! I love this one as well.
- Some ripped and distressed jeans. These can be any style of jean that you prefer. I love skinny or boyfriend jeans with some distressing. I have had these BLANKNYC jeans for about a year now and can honestly say I have definitely gotten my money’s worth out of them. I love the holes in these jeans with minimal distressing. Just like the basic t-shirt, these jeans can easily be dressed up or down depending on what look you are going for. They pair perfectly with some sneakers or sky-high heels.
- A military or utility style jacket. When I don’t know what jacket to grab, I usually grab a utility jacket. The one I am wearing is sold out, but this is a similar option. It’s another item that will go with so many items you already have. It’s extremely versatile and the perfect closet staple. You can find them in different colors and slight variations of styles, but one thing holds true to these jackets, is they add some edginess to any outfit.
- A black leather or faux leather jacket. I cannot tell you how many times I wear my faux leather BLANKNYC jacket. It’s by far my favorite jacket! It’s sold out in black, but here are some other ones I love here and here. A black leather jacket goes with literally everything! If you don’t have one, I suggest you get one because you will use it ALL the time! It’s a basic staple that looks polished enough for heels, but tough enough for sneakers. I love how a leather jacket adds a little flare to a sweet little maxi dress.
- A pair of flat shoes. This can be any type of shoe, ballet flats, mules, sandals, sneakers you name it. A flat shoe is not only practical, but comfortable. I’m usually in flats because they are the most comfortable thing to wear when holding my son. I found these lace up sandals at Target for a steal! I’ll be wearing them all summer long. I also love these ones and these.
Shop the look: